History of Hoosac
Dr. Edward Dudley Tibbits established the Hoosac School to provide an intimate, highly personalized educational setting in which each student could receive individualized attention and support. Today, the School's essential mission remains true to its founder's philosophy: to develop the character, spirit, mind, and body of its students, to foster independence and self discipline, and to motivate them to develop to their full potential for success in college and for full, productive, and intelligent lives. Founded as an Episcopal church school for boys, Hoosac today retains its ties to the church through the Chapel program while welcoming young men and women from many religious backgrounds. Students and faculty pledge to conduct themselves according to the School's Code of Honor.

Hoosac School is a nonprofit corporation governed by a Board of Trustees. It is chartered by the New York State Board of Regents and accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Many of the 1700 living graduates support the School through the Annual Giving. Eight alumni currently serve on the Board of Trustees.

Accreditation & Membership

Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools 
New York State Board of Regents
National Association of Independent Schools
Secondary School Admissions Test Board
National Association of Episcopal Schools
New York State Association of Independent Schools

Did You Know?

  • Our main administration building, Tibbits Mansion, built in 1860, is haunted by a friendly ghost.
  • The Mansion has a tunnel leading beneath the campus down to the Hoosic River. It was sealed at both ends in 1952. The tunnel is rumored to have been used as an escape route when the Tibbits estate was a stop on the Underground Railroad.
  • Grandma Moses, the American painter, lived nearby and was a friend to the school. She had Dr. Tibbits, our founder, perform the marriage ceremony at her daughter's wedding. The painting at the top of this page was created by her great grandson, Will Moses.
  • The late Burgess Meredith (1907-1997), the distinguished American actor, graduated from Hoosac in 1926.
  • Our annual Boar's Head and Yule Log Celebration, done first on our grounds in 1866, came to fruition at school in 1890. It was the first complete presentation done in America.  It is now copied nationwide.
  • Owen Wister, the 19th century American novelist, wrote his classic, The Virginian, while a summer guest of the Tibbits family here on the campus. His story is the prototype for all Westerns.
  • Father Sill left Hoosac in 1906 to found Kent School in Connecticut, which he modeled after Hoosac.
  • The Tibbits family claims that Thomas Edison got the idea for his incandescent light bulb from George Mortimer Tibbits, our founder's grandfather.
  • LeGrand Tibbits, our founder's brother, gave a band of gypsies permission in the late 1800's to camp at the Old Stone School House on the corner of our property. They finally left in 1965. Rumor ties LeGrand romantically with a gypsy princess during his youth.